Friday 5 October 2012

Knitting: winners and losers




No, this isn't a post about teams that didn't get into the AFL Grand Final.  (Nor is it a post about strangely heavy rubber baby props with machinery inside them, much as that would be quite an interesting topic.)  I have been working casually as an assistant in the props and graphics departments of the Channel Seven TV show Winners and Losers for a little while now.  The third season is presently being filmed, but for my very first task last season I was asked to knit a football beanie tiny enough to fit onto a newborn baby's head.  (Hence the slightly creepy dummy/ model/ prop creature.)

On the evening of October 2, my little beanie made its debut on national television.  I was pretty worried about whether it would fit, but baby Harrison's (Madeleine & Chloe Taylor's) mum Bec (Zoe Tuckwell-Smith) did a great job, and stepdad Matt (Blair McDonough) seemed slightly impressed too.  Another knitter made the scarf.
Meanwhile, my own shawl collared jacket/cardigan thing is not progressing as I am frustratingly stuck on the 'shawl' part.  So close and yet so far....I'll finish it mid summer no doubt.

8 comments:

Saskia (1=2) said...

Hah! Bit-part beanie! Love it. What a great job for a creative lady like you. You must love it. Congrats.

Sandra Eterovic said...

I do love it Saskia -- each day is so different. One day I might be cooking a meal that a character is supposed to have made, the next day I might be designing a fake label on the computer or hand writing a letter, and lots more in between that I shouldn't mention.
I did however get paid to learn a new craft this week as a character was going to be learning it too*, but that idea was scrapped. I don't mind, as I still have a new skill.

*Does that make me a kind of craft stunt double??!!

sister outlaws said...

A stunt craft double! A craft stand in? What a great job! Sounds fun! And I love the beanie - go Tigers.

Saskia (1=2) said...

Sandra Eterovic. Craft stunt double. I think you need a new business card.
xx

Anonymous said...

Craft stunt double, ha love it! oh to be a craft stunt double, though I might suck at it a little bit. I love this post Sandra, very cute.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Julianne, Saskia and Jo! I am really glad that you enjoyed this post, it makes me appreciate the fun aspects of the job even more! :)

Evie said...

oh my, job envy! craft stunt double hahaha love it!!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Evie. Last week it was more like a slightly kitsch Masterchef -- except that no one actually ate anything and it all got thrown out afterwards....slightly deflating, but I suppose I'll get used to it.