Thursday 3 December 2009

A wall disguise courtesy of Melway's

I am again taking part in a game started by Pip Lincolne over at Meet Me at Mike's. This week, the theme is roughly this: what makes your place noice, different or unusual? (Of course this to be pronounced in Kath and Kim style.) I might have photographed my entire house for this post, being a 100 year old weatherboard place with all sorts of cracks, quirks and patch up jobs everywhere. However I decided that I was most proud of this particular disguise for my half painted and pock marked kitchen wall: an extremely large polystyrene board on which I have glued the entire eastern section of an old Melway's*: from Warrandyte to Fawkner in the north down to Dandenong and across to Black Rock in the south. People quite admire it. It also serves the purpose of actually helping to work out where you're going occasionally.

* two copies of the Melway's are actually required for this little project. A random patchwork of pages would look good too, although it might be very confusing for out-of-town visitors. Spare pages also make nice wrapping paper, I have found. Especially for out-of-town visitors.

By the way, the theme this week was dreamt up by Toni from Little Suitcase.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Well that's an interesting way of disguising something, helpful too if your planning a trip in that area.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Toni! Yes, over the years it has been very helpful, although I have to stand on a (dodgy) chair to look at Brunswick and Preston.

Katherine said...

I love this! I've always been drawn to using large maps as wall decoration.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Me too! They're irresistible -- old is great but new can be good too...